Modules for VUE 2016 - EcoSystem
Instantly populate your scenes with massive forests, cities or crowds of characters
The EcoSystem revolution has redefined the way CG artists create natural scenery. Create and edit your own EcoSystem materials by easily controlling the size, color, orientation, placement, density, etc. of your EcoSystem populations.
The EcoSystem module is an optional module for VUE Pioneer and VUE Esprit 2016. It is part of VUE Studio 2016 and VUE Complete 2016.
EcoSystem Technology – Redefining Natural Scenery Creation!
Massive Polygon Count Handling
There is almost no such word as “too much” when populating your scene.
EcoSystems are designed to handle millions of objects, billions of polygons,
yet keep VUE's performance and display running smoothly.
Beyond Simple Duplicates
The EcoSystem works hand in hand with e-on’s acclaimed SolidGrowth™ technology.
Select a single plant type and the EcoSystem will populate your scene with numerous variations of that plant,
every single one one will be unique!
Unlimited Number of Items
Of course, an EcoSystem can contain more than one plant type.
Add an unlimited number of plant species, rocks and other objects to the population list,
and control each item’s relative presence and size within the EcoSystem.
Automated Smart Scattering
The EcoSystem does not merely scatter the objects randomly across the surface,
but actually decides where to place them according to the relief of the terrain.
So just like in nature, more trees will grow on flat areas than on steep slopes,
and no objects will be placed where they are likely to “fall down”.
In addition, VUE will automatically recognize foreign objects, and reduce the presence of EcoSystem items
Using other Types of Objects
The EcoSystem is by no means limited to plants and stones. In fact, every type of object,
including imported meshes, can be used. You can create sprawling cities, huge crowds, giant ship armadas...
the possibilities are limitless!
Controlling millions of Ecosystem instances altogether can be tough,
especially if you need to work only on specific parts.
To ease up your control over EcoSystems, use group or individual layers,
and create layers affinities to get the perfect homogeneity.
Dynamic EcoSystem Population
The Dynamic Population Technology featured in VUE lets you create dense EcoSystems that extend way beyond the horizon, without concern over the number of instances!
This revolutionary technology is capable of handling the near-infinite number of instances required to populate terrains in the far distance. To maximize efficiency, it will also dynamically populate areas of your scene, only as they become visible to the camera.
The EcoSystem Material – A Breakthrough Concept
The EcoSystem behaves just like a regular material!
You can save it as a material and create a whole library of EcoSystems,
which can be used later for other scenes and objects.
It also means that, just like mixed materials, you can mix two or more EcoSystems,
with environment influences such as altitude, slope and orientation!
The fact that the EcoSystem is treated like a material means that you can take advantage of VUE's powerful function editor to control almost every aspect.
For example, use a fractal noise generator to control the distribution of EcoSystem objects,
or use a bitmap to limit distribution to specific areas. You can add color variations to the EcoSystem
for even greater detail and realism.
Layered EcoSystem Materials
EcoSystems behave just like regular materials. You can save them as a material and create a whole library of EcoSystems, which can be used later for other scenes and objects.
The fact that the EcoSystem is treated like a material means that you can take advantage of VUE's powerful function editor to control almost every aspect. For example, use a fractal noise generator to control the distribution of EcoSystem objects, or use a bitmap to limit distribution to specific areas. You can add color variations to the EcoSystem for even greater detail and realism.
It also means that, just like mixed or layered materials, you can mix or layer two or more EcoSystems, with environment influences such as altitude, slope and orientation!
A single EcoSystem material can have any number of layers, each layer with its own population list and full set of controls.
This means you can effectively mix different EcoSystems together, and still have complete independent control over each part of the EcoSystem. In addition, each layer can have its own independent reaction to altitude, slope and orientation.
Layered EcoSystem materials give you precise control over the EcoSystem’s characteristics, and let you use functions or bitmaps to define any parameter, from density and size to color variations.
In addition, all the tools available in the EcoSystem painter and the instance selector can be used to interactively paint and modify layers inside an EcoSystem material.
Affinity and Repulsion
Layers in an EcoSystem material can also influence one another. By using the affinity and repulsion parameters, it’s possible to define a relationship between two layers. For instance, using affinity, trees in the first layer can affect the distribution of grass in the second layer, so that the grass grows only around the trees.
EcoSystem Phase Control
The EcoSystem module, together with the KronosFX module for VUE will allow you to individually control the phase (animation offset) of animated elements inside your EcoSystem populations. Thanks to new advances in the EcoSystem technology, VUE can now automatically add phase variations on top the geometrical and material variations that are present in SolidGrowth-based EcoSystems.
You can fully control this phase on a per instance basis, using the function graph (Also requires AdvancedGraph). This is ideal for creating waves of wind blowing across fields of grass, or violent explosions that blow out surrounding trees.
This new ability to control animated instances on an individual basis is not limited to SolidGrowth plants. You can control any type of animated object, including pre-animated meshes (e.g. to create crowds of people that don't all walk together).
EcoSystem Fast Population
A new population mode is available in the General tab of the Material Editor, called "Fast population mode". Each parameter modification (e.g. instance density, scale or orientation) is instantly applied to the population and refreshed in the viewport.
Once you are happy with the look of your population, you can optionally press the "Accuratly reposition on surface" to precisely place your instances on your geometry.
EcoSystem 360° Population
VUE can now automatically populate EcoSystems from all directions including below objects. This feature works on any kind of object from basic spheres to complex geometry such as rocks, cars, houses... and all applicable EcoSystem settings are supported.
Spline EcoSystem Effects
Using splines for EcoSystems
A spline is a new editable object that can be used for EcoSystem effects, terrain effects, roads and object creation. The spline is created by defining points that are joined to create the shape.
Thanks to the EcoSystem and the EcoPainter module for VUE, you can use EcoSystem effects to populate EcoSystems along a spline and in the area defined by a spline. You can also use a spline as an EcoSystem mask to erase other EcoSystem instances.
You can stack EcoSystem instances on top of each other.
EcoSystem Stacking is available both while populating an EcoSystem through the material editor, or painting it with the EcoPainter (Also requires EcoPainter).
The maximum number of instances which can be stacked onto another is user definable.
EcoParticles - The VUE Particle System
Add the KronosFX module to EcoSystem, and get access to the full EcoParticles technology!
Advanced control for your animations
KronosFX gives you full animation power. High-resolution animation renders, fine-tuned object keyframing, rotoscoping, etc. KronosFX is packed full of essential features for the serious animator.
The KronosFX module is an optional module for VUE Pioneer, VUE Esprit 2016 and VUE Studio 2016. It is part of VUE Complete 2016.
VUE get's particles! But it's not standard particles, it's a new concept of particles:
You can do all the standard stuff that particles are good at, but you can also do a lot more. Rather than creating simple emitters, and having particles grow out of them, we designed a new way of handling particles that is specifically well suited for Digital Nature, EcoParticles!
This new technology is ideal for the creation of animated rain, snow, waterfalls, explosions, fire, smoke, tornadoes, falling leaves, swarm of insects and more.
EcoParticles as EcoSystems
Jungle mist with EcoParticles
EcoParticles are added to any material like a regular EcoSystem material layer. But with EcoParticles, you get in depth control over the way the particles will evolve over time. You can define the speed, direction, collision properties and duration of life of the particles, as well as subject them to external influences.
On top of these new physical settings, all of the classic EcoSystem configuration parameters are used for particle instance population.
Effectors are special objects that will influence the EcoParticles in the scene (Also requires EcoPainter). Effects like tornadoes, jittering, attraction, etc. are easily created this way.
In Depth EcoParticle Control
VUE offers a rich collection of function nodes to control your EcoParticle behavior. You can combine many nodes to create one "super" particle system (Also requires AdvancedGraph).
It's possible to make particles create particles (e.g. to create a firework effect, or a rain drop that creates a water splash as soon as it hits the ground), based on the behavior of the root particles.
EcoParticles can fall, collide, bounce and interact with forces and with each other. EcoParticles react to natural phenomena thanks to various physical parameters such as mass, velocity, gravity, collision, wind influence (Also requires Zephyr), elasticity, attachement and more...
Perfect for Stills, Better for Animations
Even though the new EcoParticle technology will produce great effects for your still renders, animation is where they really shine!
You can easily setup how your EcoParticles will evolve over time using parameters such as size variation, growth, opacity variation, velocity, flow and more. Additionally, you can specify how your EcoParticles die, setting up their life duration, or even make them turn into another species of EcoParticle.
Each EcoParticle life parameter can be driven by a function graph to precisely control your effects (Also requires AdvancedGraph).
Automatic Weather Effects - Rain and Snow
These new atmospheric effects enable artists to instantly create anything from gentle spring rain to a tropical storm, a gentle falling snow to a blizzard, with a simple click of the mouse.
The heaviness, shape, drop size, speed and falling angle of the precipitation is user controllable.
Motion blur can be added if desired too.
Weather Effects are available for all types of atmospheres.
|One-click Rain and Snow effect |
|Shared snow material layer
Complete Feature List
- EcoSystem patented technology to easily distribute millions of objects in scenes
- Create EcoSystems from multiple objects
- Scatter millions of animated objects
- Mix EcoSystems with standard materials
- Mix several EcoSystems together depending on environment (slope, altitude, orientation)
- Automatic placement of EcoSystem population according to a user defined SmartGraph density function (that can depend on position, altitude, slope)
- Advanced coloring control to vary the colors of the population over the EcoSystem
- Accurate control over the orientation of the EcoSystem population
- Accurate control over the size and variation in size of the EcoSystem population
- Accurate control over the layers of the EcoSystem population and layers affinity
- Automatic decay of EcoSystem density near foreign objects
- Optional size reduction and color decay at low EcoSystem densities
- Full quality display of EcoSystem instances near camera, adjustable radius.
- Dynamic EcoSystem unlimited population
- Dynamic EcoSystem density adjustments for improved control of density on slopes
- Layered EcoSystems to control individual EcoSystem populations
- Refresh dynamic EcoSystem population previews anytime with Preview button
- Easily control the intensity of the coloring applied to EcoSystem populations
- Ability to drag multiple objects from a browser into the EcoSystem population
- Control the intensity of the EcoSystem coloring through the function graph - also requires AdvancedGraph
- EcoSystem populations can be made to evolve over time
- Manually adjustable EcoSystem population threshold before triggering a warning
- OpenGL preview of EcoSystem instances as billboards, boxes or full geometry
- Dynamically populated EcoSystems around the camera can be viewed in viewports
- Adjust EcoSystem display quality on individual population elements
- Control displaying at full quality of EcoSystem instances near the camera on individual population elements
- EcoSystem instances can be controlled based on the EcoSystem density so that instances can automatically lean out on low density areas
- EcoSystems can be populated along a spline.(Also requires EcoPainter)
- Areas defined by Splines can be populated with EcoSystems.(Also requires EcoPainter)
- Splines can be used as EcoSystem masks. (Also requires EcoPainter)
- Control animation phase on a per SolidGrowth instance basis through the function graph. (Also requires AdvancedGraph and KronosFX)
- Individually control the phase (animation offset) of animated elements in your EcoSystem populations. (Also requires KronosFX)
- Automatic addition of variations of animation phase to SoliGrowth based EcoSystems. (Also requires KronosFX)
- Control the animation phase of any type of animated object, including pre-animated meshes. (Also requires KronosFX)
- Control animation phase on pre-animated mesh EcoSystems through the function graph. (Also requires KronosFX)
- Control animation phase on EcoSystems made of any kind of animated objects. (Also requires KronosFX)
- EcoSystem stacking is accessible from the material editor
- EcoSystem Fast population technology to interactively edit EcoSystem populations
- 360° EcoSystems: EcoSystems can be populated from all directions including below objects
- All standard population settings are applicable to 360° populations
- Stack EcoSystem instances on top of each other
- Maximum number of stacked instances is user definable
- VOB files created from a Dynamic Rock or a SolidGrowth plant will automatically generate variations when used in an EcoSystem
- EcoSystem instances can be aligned dynamically along the spline direction (Also requires EcoPainter)
- Control EcoSystem spline instances' orientation and variability (Also requires EcoPainter)
- Automatic Rain atmospheric effect (Also requires KronosFX)
- Automatic Snow atmospheric effect (Also requires KronosFX)
- The heaviness, shape, drop size, speed and falling angle of the precipitation is user controllable (Also requires KronosFX)
- Rain and snow impacts can control materials for water or snow coverage (Also requires KronosFX)
- Motion blur can be added on weather effects (Also requires KronosFX)
- Weather Effects are available for all types of atmospheres (Also requires KronosFX)
- All standard EcoSystem configuration parameters can be used for particle instance population (Also requires KronosFX)
- Complete particle system custom tailored for Digital Nature (Also requires KronosFX)
- EcoParticles can be added to any material (like a regular EcoSystem) (Also requires KronosFX)
- Speed, direction, collision properties and duration of life of the particles can be easily configured (Also requires KronosFX)
- Effector objects can be added to influence EcoParticles locally or globally (e.g. to create effects such as tornadoes, jittering, attraction etc.) (Also requires KronosFX)
- Control physical properties of particles, such as mass, velocity, gravity, collision, wind influence, elasticity, attachment forces and more (Also requires KronosFX)
- Make particles fall, collide, bounce and interact with external forces (Also requires KronosFX)
- Automatic collision maps allow the creation of material and particle effects that depend on collision history (Also requires KronosFX)
- Sub-particles can be emitted over the lifespan of each particle, upon collision or upon death of the particle (Also requires KronosFX)
- Animation specific EcoParticle parameters such as size variation, growth, opacity variation, velocity, flow and more (Also requires KronosFX)
- EcoParticles can be influenced by external influences (wind, gravity etc.) (Also requires KronosFX and Zephyr)
- Rich collection of function nodes to control EcoParticle behaviors. (Also requires AdvancedGraph and KronosFX)
- EcoSystem Clumping lets you easily control how plants from the same species grow close to one-another
- Amount slider lets you set the global intensity of the EcoSystem clumping effect
- Size slider lets you set the global size of EcoSystem clumps
- Quality setting in the EcoSystem material editor when using Plant Factory vegetation
- Integrated Plant Factory quality setting helps optimize rendering time and system memory resources
- EcoParticles can be set to collide with Static EcoSystem instances (Also requires KronosFX)
- Select the number of PlantFactory plant variations to be used in your EcoSystem populations
- Select specific PlantFactory plant variations to be used in your EcoSystem populations
- Optimize memory consumption by using baked (static or dynamic) versions of PlantFactory species for your EcoSystem populations
- Select individual pre-defined PlantFactory 2016+ species variations within the Plant Editor (Also requires Botanica)
Interactive EcoSystem painting is not included in this module. If you wish to paint your EcoSystems using your mouse or pressure-sensitive tablet, please consider getting the EcoPainter module - read more here.